There’s something about the combo of flavors in these taquitos, chicken smothered in sweet honey combined with cool and tangy lime and Mexican inspired spices, that is unique and unexpected. I find myself adding these taquitos to the menu when time is tight, which lately seems to be almost every night!
The first time I made these we were surprised at how flavorful they are and they quickly became a go-to recipe. The spices in these taquitos are pretty mild so if you like things spicier feel free to up the chili powder or add cayenne pepper or even some jalapenos. Or if you want to get wild and crazy switch the cheddar cheese with some pepper jack cheese.
We enjoy these for lunch or dinner with a side of sour cream and chips and salsa, but if you use smaller tortillas these taquitos would also make a tasty appetizer for a party!
Honey Lime Chicken Taquitos
I use whatever size flour tortillas I have on hand, when using the small taco sized ones I usually get about 8-10 from this recipe.
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 tablespoons honey
Juice from 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teapoon cumin
2 cups shredded cheddar or jack cheese
4 10-inch flour tortillas
Course Salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, honey, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla and top with the cheese.
- Roll each tortilla tightly, leaving the ends open, and place on a baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos with nonstick spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crispy.
Adapted from this recipe.